At the end of my last entry I had run out of daylight, so today I took a spokeshave and eased the front edges of the seat scallops so they won’t dig into the back of the sitter’s thighs. I also removed some of the surplus from the top of the leg tenons and sawed the kerfs in them to accept the ash wedges.
The undercarriage was glued together and into the seat using horse sauce with the addition of a small amount of urea to buy me a little time while I wrestled with it all. The wedges were dipped into the horse sauce too and driven into the tops of the legs effectively locking them solidly in their mortises.
In the absence of a level cast iron saw table, I set the chair on a perfectly levelled sheet of particleboard and placed a bubble on the back rim of the seat to level the chair. I measured the seat height and then scribed the bottom of the legs using a scrap of wood of the requisite thickness.
With the chair laid on its side I sawed the surplus off the bottoms of the legs. The chair was then placed upright on the particleboard again to confirm it was stable. It wobbled just perceivably. Again, I used the bubble to level the seat and determine which leg was the culprit. It was the front left leg which only necessitated a few pull-throughs with my 60-grit leg leveller.
The tops of the legs were sawn off close to the seat and the entire seat was then cleaned up with a spokeshave and a couple of scrapers.