With all the quartered walnut veneers, ash banding and walnut banding laid on the carcase ends and cleaned up, I glued the banding to the front edges of the carcase ends and tidied it up too.
The top and bottom cross-grained mouldings were built up by gluing blocks of walnut onto a pine backing and planing and scraping them to the correct profiles.
I mitred the bottom moulding at the front corners and glued it into place on the carcase and planed it flush with the bottom packer.
A great many bureaux, chests and escritoires etc. from this period stand on non-genuine bun feet; either because they didn’t originally possess bun feet (having begun life as the chest of a chest-on-stand) or because they’ve been replaced at a later date. This would likely account for the wide ranging styles of bun feet one sees on late seventeenth-century and early eighteenth-century case furniture – in a period of general conformity.
As a former dealer in late seventeenth-century and eighteenth-century antiques, I had the opportunity to closely examine many pieces of furniture from this period which retained their original bun feet and made detailed drawings of several examples. I turned four bun feet from walnut branch wood. While preparing the wood for turning on the lathe, I noticed a shiny metal inclusion in the end of one of the blanks. My immediate thought was that I had damaged my saw on a nail.
Fully prepared to dig a trench around the nail so I could get a good purchase on it with a pair of nippers, I took to it with a narrow chisel and extricated a lead shotgun pellet! I encountered several more pellets before the four feet were completed.
I bored the spigot holes through the foot blocks and into the base of the carcase and glued the bun feet in place.
With the top moulding in place, I began laying the veneers and banding onto the top of the carcase.
The carcase was laid on its back and I applied the D-moulding to the front edges of the dustboards and the inner front edges of the carcase ends.
The carcase is now complete, but for the backboards, which will be attached after the drawers have been fitted and their stop blocks installed.