A George III Mahogany Kneehole Desk – Part Four

The base mouldings on kneehole desks are invariably quite pronounced, adding bold lines to the ins and outs of the pedestals and kneehole. I stuck the moulding in a couple of suitable lengths of mahogany and then glued and nailed the mouldings to the bottoms of the pedestals.

I then cut out the sixteen brackets for the feet. You wouldn’t believe how much mahogany this many brackets consumes!

Base mouldings on, and the brackets cut out.

The brackets were mitred and glued together in adjacent pairs which were then slathered in glue and rubbed onto the base mouldings.

Like castles in the skies.

I split some corner blocks from square pine stock and rubbed the triangular blocks into the corners behind the feet, leaving about 1/8″ protruding beyond the brackets to bear the weight of the desk. Chamfered glue blocks were rubbed against the brackets and base moulding to bolster the feet.

Corner blocks and glue blocks rubbed in place.

Mitred (and somewhat mitre-esque) feet.

The desk standing tall.

Jack Plane

Advertisements

About Jack Plane

Formerly from the UK, Jack is a retired antiques dealer and self-taught woodworker, now living in Australia.
This entry was posted in Case Furniture and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to A George III Mahogany Kneehole Desk – Part Four

  1. Sean says:

    This is going to look an absolute treat when its finished Jack. It is very inspirational reading your stuff here so thank you for taking the time to make it available.

    Like

  2. Marilyn says:

    I’ve seen the wood behind the bracket feet done will smaller pieces stuck together for what I’ve assumed is to accommodate the inevitable movement of the wood in the bracket feet. I like your so much better. Its certainly cleaner and neater.

    Like

    • Jack Plane says:

      Several means were employed for reinforcing bracket feet and, at the same time, providing the actual points of contact with the floor. By far the most abundant was the single, large split (or occasionally square – though the fourth, protruding corner is visible when the chest is viewed normally) corner block as I have used here (and on other case pieces on this blog).

      Another, less common method involved triangular off-cuts of pine boards being glued and stacked horizontally into the corners. I may well adopt this method on my next case piece for comparative purposes.

      JP

      Like

I welcome your comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s