I’m getting a little ahead of myself here, but due to the stormy and periodically wet weather we’ve experienced lately, I didn’t want to risk setting up outdoors to work on the chest’s carcase. In stead, I moved piles of stuff around inside my little shed until I uncovered the lathe and was then able to turn the four pine feet… they had to be turned at some stage!
The unpredictable weather continued, so I gave the feet several coats of gesso… frankly it’s easier to do them on the lathe (rotating them by hand) than later on when they’re attached to the chest. The spigots will be glued into the feet prior to attaching them to the underside of the chest.
I also took the opportunity to make the pine upper and lower carcase mouldings. Normally cross-grain walnut D-moulding would be stuck onto the front of the pine dustboards, but as this chest will be painted, I can get away with simply moulding the front edges of the dustboards.
The weather improved, so I rub-jointed a few boards together, cut some dovetails and knocked up the carcase.
I mentioned in my post, Dustboards, how, on occasions, thin dustboards were jammed up into their housings from beneath with wedges. The reasoning behind this approach is twofold; firstly, the thinnish boards slide freely into position, with just the front few inches being the fullness of the housings (only the front of the dustboards are glued). The second benefit is that the undersides of the dustboards don’t need to be planed particularly flat – or even parallel with the upper surfaces.
The wedges are simply riven from a pine block and are hammered in dry. The protruding material will be sawn off.