I don’t often despair of much (and it may just be because I’m in a fair bit of pain at the moment) however, the atrocities inflicted on, and written about this walnut chest of drawers give me little confidence in the continuance of humankind!
A vendor describes this chest variously as:
- “Late 18th Century Charles II […].”
That would be early eighteenth-century, George I (Charles II reigned from 1625-49).
- “1780s.” (twice)
No! (twice) It’s circa 1715-20.
- “[…] dual iron design handles […]”
Oh for crying out loud! They’re brass! What does “dual iron design” even mean?
- “[…] with decorative keyhole plates […]”
He can’t possibly mean escutcheons… can he?
- “[…] delicate bottom trim.”
The moulding or the later bracket feet?
- “[…] features the original mid tone color finish.”
Original finish? It’s since had a coat or two of “mid-tone” shellac slapped on it – inside and out (fig. 2)!
- “The beautiful patina is accented by the simple but elegant design […].”
Patina! It’s all been obliterated!